One hundred million dollars was approved to provide productivity support for several crops, including Irish potato and onion.
Bodles Infrastructure Upgrade
• $300 million was allocated to upgrade Bodles Research Station in Old Harbour, St. Catherine.
FAO 35th Regional Conference
• Jamaica hosted the 35th Session of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Regional Conference for Latin America and the Caribbean at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in Rose Hall, St. James.
INDUSTRY AND COMMERCE
New Standard for Electrical Appliances
• The Bureau of Standards Jamaica (BSJ) launched a new standard to cover general safety requirements for electrical appliances.
CAC Secures Millions for Aggrieved Consumers
• The Consumer Affairs Commission (CAC) secured $14. 9 million in refunds and compensation from 1,087 complaints filed by consumers.
Electronic Business Registration Form
• The Companies Office of Jamaica (COJ) launched its electronic business registration form which enables customers to reserve and register their business names online. Clients can register sole trader and partnership business names.
Shipment of Medical Marijuana
• Jamaica exported its first shipment of medical marijuana extracted oil to Canada.
Expo Jamaica 2018
• Some 350 exhibitors spanning 20 local industries showcased more than 2,000 products during the 46th Expo Jamaica trade show at the National Arena and National Indoor Sports Centre in Kingston from April 19 to 22.
• The Jamaica Investment Forum, held June 12 to 14 at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in St. James, was a major success and created opportunities for sound investment projects.
JAMPRO Re-opens New York Office
• JAMPRO’s New York office was officially re-opened.